I’m having an unfocused day with my brain running all over the place in an “Oooh shiny!” way. To go with that, I decided to write my first post in a series I’ve been calling Tuesday Tidbits in my head. These posts will happen on Tuesday (but probably not every Tuesday) as the name implies, and they will just cover a number of small things that are on my mind.
- Today is my 39th birthday, and it feels odd. It’s not bad at all, and I’m definitely not bothered about the number or getting older in general, but “last year of my 30s” sounds strange to my ears. The past is always closer and farther away than you think it is is another person’s take on their 39th birthday this month, and it resonates.
- I’ve decided not to track all the cookbooks I’ll be trying to go through this year on Goodreads because it feels like I’d be artificially inflating the numbers of book that I read even though I do read them cover to cover. Instead, I’ll mention here on the blog each month the cookbook I brought off my shelves for some new meals.
- This month, I read Come Home to Supper by Christy Jordan from Southern Plate. I love her website because she feels like family and makes food that reminds me of home. We liked the chicken tortilla soup and the slow-cooker fiesta chicken and rice from this cookbook, but I’d suggest her first book Southern Plate to someone over this one because I think you see a little more of her personality and get more stories along with the recipes.
- I don’t reread many books, but I find myself randomly remembering lines from the Anne of Green Gables series by L.M. Montgomery, so maybe that’s a sign. “There’s such a lot of different Annes in me. I sometimes think that is why I’m such a troublesome person. If I was just the one Anne it would be ever so much more comfortable, but then it wouldn’t be half so interesting.” I read those books over 25 years ago, and here’s another place where being 39 feels so strange!
- I’m using Pinterest more lately. Scrolling through some pretty pictures seems like a nice way to start unwinding at the end of the day. There’s no worry that I’ll see a bunch of sad headlines or people arguing.
- Did you know that Rider Strong (Shawn Hunter from Boy Meets World) co-hosts a podcast about books? Literary Disco is one in a very small group of podcasts that holds my interest. I should do a post about the few and the proud that keep me company on Podcast Republic.